Monday, November 1, 2010

Modernism and other "ism"s

Modernism--positivism, realism, perspectivism, romanticism, capitalism, communism, humanism, nationalism, conservatism--this is only the beginning. This link leads to a list of lists of movements on wikipedia. We need catalogs to show the relations of different movements and what type of movement each movement fits into. With so many "ism"s I don't know what to think. How is modernism different from other "ism"s?
The suffix -ism denotes a principle, belief or movement. I suppose that includes Mormonism.
Beyond wanting a good grade, why should I learn about modernism anymore than to believe that a lot of people decided that there was no absolute truths and that things are all relative? I believe there are absolute truths. I believe there is a God in heaven that cares deeply about me among billions of others of His children. I believe He is the Father of my spirit. So where does that leave me in regards to modernism?
I do see value in thinking outside the box. Abstract thinking leads to unbelievable discoveries like Albert Einstein's theory of relatively and the entirety of Quantum physics (It's crazy to me that those ideas are proven empirically). In the same paragraph, we see the social decay that follows a world that is losing it's grounding in absolute truths. Is there a balancing-point? There's lots of questions. What's your answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment