Friday, November 12, 2010

Review: Uma Pitada de Tolices

For this blog, I’ve been assigned to review Sean R. Watson’s blog “Uma Pitada de Tolices”. The overall feel of the blog is well-refined. A sidebar quote foreshadows the appealing sound of Sean’s blog posts. Indeed, I think his thoughtful writing forces me to slow down and ingest his ideas (somewhat frustrating when I’m not in the educational mindset), so that I stretch my thinking.

In reading his posts, I have no doubt that he has done research and thought a lot about his posts. He gives great opinions and insights into historical content. His post “Sigmund Freud, a Lunatic” shows research, thought, and application. (Coming from a scientific background, I sometimes wish Sean would get straight to the point, but that may be an unfair desire.)

As for computing concepts, Sean gives examples of his personal discoveries on the topics. Instructions to Everything” shares a personal argument that led to a desire to make all points empirically based. His ties to algorithms and noncomputational ideas shows he’s thinking about how the class computing concepts links to his life and experiences.

In my skimming of multiple posts, I didn’t find direct uses of digital culture, but I feel his blog shows that he’s got it. He seems to post frequently and not always about something regarding the class. His blog carries more than his name; it carries his personality.

And regarding his self-directed learning, again I feel that his frequenting blogging reflects his personal research beyond the readings from class. He has done several digital literacy labs recently (though it’s hard to tell when since his posts don’t have dates) and his connection with the onca scholarship seems to be a physical representation of the connecting that he is doing outside the class.

My only request for Sean is to dumb down some posts for me (although the monotonous mind of a future scientist caught up in his little lab world of experiments may not be the exact audience that he’s writing for). Keep it real Sean; your frequent and personal blogging is the idea that I will try to incorporate more in my blogging.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being so kind to me Brian! The thought of peer review terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete