Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Web2.0 Project continues



The semester is coming to a close. Deadlines are now days instead of weeks away. My project team has been updating our wiki and blog with Web2.0 tools and I got to thinking beyond the tools of the Web2.0 movement.

Paul Anderson states 6 big ideas surrounding Web2.0 in his article "What is Web2.0? Ideas, technologies, and implications for education". One of the big ideas is titled architecture of participation. The idea is that Web2.0 is based on easy, open collaboration. Anderson uses the example of citizen journalism on CNN.com that gives the public the ability to report on breaking news as it happens.

I have been collaborating with fellow students to update and improve our blog and wiki formats of Backpack2.0 and I've noticed that we aren't perfect architects. The architecture of participation for our websites is based mostly off of the hosting service (blogger and wikispaces respectively) so we don't have much room to change everything we want to.

The frustrations that I felt in Blogger wasted a lot of time. I still can't figure out why my blog posts didn't carry the desired format. I typed everything how I wanted it in "edit posts" section, but it all the spacing disappeared upon posting.

Comparatively, the wiki was a dream. I clicked the "edit" button, edited what I wanted, and saved it. Done and dusted.


Perhaps if I had the appropriate skills, I could adjust the formatting problems. My teammate Brandon McCloskey chalked the problem up to Bloggers difficulties with hosting more than one editor at a time. I don't know if that's the case. What I do know is that a wiki is a proven collaboration tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment