Monday, November 22, 2010

Create: A digital resource for digital students

My life is so easy. I'll restate that: my life is easier thanks to google.docs.

I've got this project for my Civilizations class to create an online resource for students, so they can learn digital tools to help them in their education. Though we've got a group of dedicated students to hash this all out, making a good site takes a lot of planning and execution.

We're just finished our data mining stage and now we're going to make sense of it and try to make a quality site out of all the information we've obtained. Each group member spent a couple hours finding links on the internet to dozens of new tools like Prezi and google.docs. We posted all of these tools on a google.doc and it was a mess of information. Their was some order since the tools had been put into a table as shown.


I wanted to do some organizing, so I used copy and paste functions to move all the tabulated info into a google.doc spreadsheet. One of the nifty tools (under the "Tools" menu on the toolbar) is a sort Column from A to Z.


What took possibly 12 hours of collaborative work took 30 seconds to sort. It still needs some clean up, but the worst is over. Thank you google.docs for saving me enough time to write this post and a paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment