Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beta Evolution: new.lds.org

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is shifting to a new website over the coming weeks and months. The new website (new.lds.org) has dozens of new features including an online store, a page you can request patriarchal blessings (yours and your ancestors), and a personal, online study notebook (My Study Notebook).
We have a great opportunity to use these tools and give feedback on what works and what needs further development.
I've also been reading up on crowdsourcing. I watched a movie on the new website called "That Promised Day" about the coming forth of the LDS version of the KJV. I learned that the Church called returned missionaries to become involved in cross referencing the footnotes for the standard works and creating the Topical Guide. I had always assumed that experienced church scholars had done all that work.
I wish we could do a similar activity today with the online version of the scriptures. We could cross reference not only scriptures to scriptures, but scriptures to conference talks and other online media like the Mormon Messages, the Hymnbook and even manuals. There are amazing possibilities. We need everyone to get onto new.lds.org and give their suggestions. Will you . . .?

1 comment:

  1. I remember the last time they updated the scriptures - I had just spent an exorbant $50 on a brand new, fancy set of scriptures - three months later, they were outdated! LOL!

    The new edition should be wonderful - an opportunity to re-read & re-mark my scriptures!

    Thanks for the links - they will be interesting viewing & reading!

    ReplyDelete