Monday, October 11, 2010

Choosing Mr. Bowditch

Nathaniel Bowditch was born a common lad just prior to the American Revolutionary War. He grew up in hard times. But from common roots came uncommon greatness.
Our book club selection was based on the content. Nat Bowditch revolutionized nautical navigation in his day. His mathematical intuition helped him see the problems of his day in a new light, a lunar light.
When I started reading, the book struck a familiar cord. Perhaps because I hope to contribute greatly to the world from my common, small-town background. It was also familiar because I realized that I've read the book before though I know not when. Regardless, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch catches readers with its engaging prose. I look forward to reading it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment