Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reflections for September

My mind is like a computer. Like Diderot, I catalog information according to a tested algorithm. This algorithm solves calculus problems and memorizes key points to remember. My algorithm can apply models to bigger arenas and solve complex questions by compartmentalizing data.
My mind is not like the internet. . . yet! The algorithm does not emphasize relationships between old knowledge and new knowledge. It recognizes connections are present, but my algorithm does not involve connecting and thereby enlarging principles. For example, I do not use multiple tags on my gmail account.
Digital Civilization requires me to change my tested algorithm, not because it doesn't work; it's just out-dated. Digital literacy means consuming, creating, and connecting information for depth of understanding. I have failed the literacy test. But in my failure there is hope.
My failure has helped me see the necessity of digital literacy. I am refining my filtering process so I can spend less time searching and more time consuming the information I want. Blogging has made me accountability for my creativity and I am getting better, however slowly. I am connecting topics from classmates blogs and public blogs. I have begun my social discovery. How can I get there faster? Not only what do I change, but also how do I change my algorithm?

No comments:

Post a Comment