Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rene Descartes is the man.

Descartes was mentioned in class and in the reading, but I felt there was more to "I think; therefore I am." I found this video on youtube and a commentary on the OER that I annotated in Diigo. I think the video is better without the music.



Descartes was a deep thinker. I believe if you're thinking doesn't lead to doing then it's not real thinking. Descartes builds the concept of thinking. After reading the commentary, I feel like my thoughts are the power that propels me.
Sometimes, we get caught in the rut; we go through the motions. I worked as a custodian for a summer. It was much easier to just go through the motions, sweeping floors and washing toilets.
However, I enjoyed my work more when I made myself think. I memorized favorite verses, I did large multiplication and division problems math in my head, and I even thought of ways to improve the work place atmosphere.
I believe we can get stuck in educational ruts too. We do what is expected of us to get the A. We want letters instead of knowledge. That's when an unusual phrase from Descartes or whoever can change our mind. And when our mind is changed, we are changed.

2 comments:

  1. So true, Brian. We do get stuck in educational ruts. And sometimes we don't even realize we're in a rut until someone/something pushes us out of it (i.e. this class). Sometimes getting out of said rut takes a lot of pushing and pulling and perspiring, (the stage of the process I'm currently in) but I believe the new perspective will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to that new perspective myself. This class is great for eliminating ruts. I think the real education is learning to never stop pushing, pulling and perspiring.

    ReplyDelete