Saturday, December 4, 2010

MCAT Reformation

I attended a seminar on MCAT preparation. I'm considering going to medical school, but I'm not made of money. Now, I do recognize that expenses for a good education are an investment. I can understand the $230 price tag on the MCAT, but another $1800 for prep courses is too much for my budget.

I feel like Martin Luther in a way. I'm pounding my 95 theses on the internet door (I do know how to hack the MCAT Prep class sites; and I'm not that hard core). Getting into medical school should be hard, but don't believe that it should cost a lot of money. So I'm eliminating the monetary barriers to success. I first sent an e-mail to the MCAT officer in BYU's premed club to solicit ideas for forming study groups. I've also begun collecting free online resources in a Diigo group appropriately named "MCAT Prep Resources".


Next semester I'll become a member of the premed club and seek out premed students who want to save money on MCAT preparations. By finding free resources in groups and studying in groups the knowledge of the group will spread to the group members.

My hope is to reform the way students look at test preparations, turning it into a weekly study habit from the start of freshmen year until the week of their MCAT. The power to form groups and benefit from the social knowledge is far greater than any attribute tested in any assessment test. The reform isn't to save money. The reform is to change minds.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! It is amazing how everything is easily available online. My daughter is taking MCAT and my nephew is preparing for LSAT, and I have actually helped both of them get study material and preparation schedule online. This is a very helpful post, I will surely share it with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Gregor. I hope they both used or are using as many freely available resources as possible and perhaps creating their own resources to share with others.

      Delete